Did your family enjoy a special vacation this summer? Is there somewhere you dream of visiting? Adorn a tabletop with maps and memories from your family travels! Using decoupage, you can upgrade an old coffee table or child’s craft table with this fun family-oriented project, courtesy of the nice people over at Craft magazine.
- Choose maps, tickets and snapshots printed from your computer to create a collage of memories from your favorites trips.
- Use a map of the world and mark all the places each family member dreams of visiting. Use a different marker to represent each family member. Dream big!
It’s Fusilli, Silly!
It is a mother’s continual struggle to discover healthy dishes her children will actually eat—without becoming a short-order cook, rushing to produce both a delicious meal for mom and dad and nutritious sustenance for finicky little ones. Bruschetta Style Brown Rice Fusilli is a super-easy, gluten-free, lower-carb dish that strikes the perfect balance, and is a surefire hit at large, picnic gatherings. In my experience, minimizing gluten in my toddler’s diet improves overall his ability to concentrate and decreases the typical bedtime drama of a preschooler who would rather stay up late. (For more family-friendly and gluten-free recipes, visit my other blog, UnassumingFoodie.com.)
Future Environmentalists Club
By raising our children with a strong sense of respect and reverence for Earth, we help ensure that there will be adults to step into ecological leadership positions.”–Helen Coronato, author of Eco-Friendly Families, The following are excerpts.
Get “green” for back-to-school! As you make your list of must-have school supplies, consider ways you can re-use equipment and supplies from last year.
Give supplies a facelift by breathing new life into them:
- Sharpen scissors by cutting through a used piece of aluminum foil folded several times. Lubricate with a good dose of castor oil and wipe clean.
- Buff up leather backpacks and shoes with a cotton cloth and baby oil
- Remix craft paint by by dropping 2 or 3 marbles into the container and shaking vigorously.
- Unwind a paperclip and use the end to unclog glue bottle tops.
- Soften hard paintbrush bristles by soaking them in vinegar for five minutes, massaging the bristles, then rinsing.
Still need to stock up? Click here for information about great Back-to-School deals online!
Looking for more weekend ideas? Click here for Fun Things To Do archived entries.