Here are some environmentally-friendly, easy on the budget bug repellent recipes for discouraging insects from damaging your plants, biting your pets, or stinging you! We don’t need to use sprays and harmful chemicals to keep pests away. Chances are, everything you need is in your pantry! (Kudos to Garden Mandy for these fabulous ideas!)
Natural, chemical-free solutions to control bugs this summer.
Pepper Spray for ants and other small pests.
- Boil 2 or 3 cups of water.
- Add about ½ to 2/3 cup of chopped hot pepper. Let marinate for a few minutes.
- Run the mixture through a sieve to remove the peppers.
- Put the liquid in a squirt bottle and use when necessary.
- Be careful not to spray directly on foliage.
Minty Soap Spray for ants.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of Dr. Bronner’s peppermint soap with a gallon of water.
- Spray directly on ants.
This will also work to ward off other pests on foliage, however be care when you spray it directly on your plants–only a little should suffice.
Pure Vanilla Extract
Dab a little on you wrists, neck and behind the ears. Many insects don’t like the smell.
Chemical-Free Bug-Off Mist
- Mix witch hazel with a few drops of tea tree oil, lavender oil, or peppermint oil in a squirt bottle.
- Lightly mist your body.
You can also add one of these essential oils to an unscented organic lotion for a bug repelling moisturizer.
Lavender Mosquito Barrier No more bites!
- Rub a lavender flower behind your ears, wrists and neck.
- Not only will you smell great, but mosquitoes will leave you alone.