Take it from someone who leapt before she looked. There are a handful (OK, two handfuls) of things a young woman should check off her to-do list before she takes that walk down the white carpet. It took me until age 34 (and finding the wonderful man to whom I am now married) to figure these out. Lucky for you, Wendy Atterberry, an editor at The Frisky.com, is about to be a bride and she has made her list and checked it twice. (See Wendy’s entire story here.)
Here are Wendy’s 20 things every woman should do before she gets married:
- Live by herself for at least a year.
- Live with someone else for at least a year.
- Recover from a broken heart.
- Have a vacation fling.
- Take a road-trip with a group of girlfriends.
- Relish sleeping in a queen-sized bed by herself.
- Get her finances in order.
- Learn to love her body.
- Have sex with at least one person she’d never want to marry (or introduce to mom).
- Find reliable birth control.
- Pay off as much credit card debt and student loans as possible.
- Spend way too much on a something frivolous.
- Exorcise all past relationship demons.
- Travel somewhere exotic.
- Establish a strong circle of friends.
- Forgive her parents for not being perfect.
- Have at least one night she can’t quite remember.
- Experience some really bad first dates.
- Find hobbies that fulfill her.
- Celebrate her 25th birthday.
This isn’t the most wholesome list, I’ll admit. What’s on your must-do list before you tie the knot?