Did you know that, botanically speaking, pumpkin is a fruit? Grown on every continent but Antarctica, the pumpkin was once thought to be a cure-all for freckles and snakebites. (Psst! Consider planning your party after 2009 Pumpkinmania! at The Heritage Museum of Orange County.)
Here are some tips for hosting your pumpkin party!
- Fill a wheelbarrow with pumpkins and place it by the door so guests can choose a pumpkin to carve as they come to the party. (Crunched for time? Have guests bring a hollowed pumpkin with them to the party!)
- Choosing the perfect specimen: Examine the pumpkin’s rind; It should be firm, uniform in color, and free of cuts, bruises, and blemishes. Give the pumpkin a knock; A thumping sound means the pumpkin is solid, with no internal defects, rot, or soft spots.
- Decorate Halloween themed brown paper bags–Make enough for each guest. Fill each bag with inexpensive pumpkin-carving tools, a tea light, and a permanent black marker. (Or substitute poster paints, if your party guests are very young.)
- If using a candle to illuminate your pumpkin, you can create the smell of Halloween spice by sprinkling cinnamon, nutmeg, and pumpkin spice on the underside of the jack-o’-lantern’s lid. Once lit, the pumpkin will create a wonderful scent.
- Download free pumpkin carving patterns and have several copies on hand.
- Create a centerpiece using a large pumpkin surrounded by colorful autumn leaves. Use a drill to make holes around the top and sides of the pumpkin, and fill the holes with caramel apples or lollipops for guests to enjoy!
- Cover your work surface with newspapers or a vinyl tablecloth.
Party music to carve by…
- “Beetlejuice: Main Titles,” composed by Danny Elfman
- “Ghostbusters,” Ray Parker Jr.
- “In the Midnight Hour,” Wilson Pickett
- “I Put a Spell on You,” Nina Simone
- “I Want Candy,” Bow Wow Wow
- “Spooky,” the Classics IV
- “That Old Black Magic,” Ella Fitzgerald
- “Thriller,” Michael Jackson
- “Werewolves of London,” Warren Zevon
- “Witchcraft,” Frank Sinatra
For more info: This is the ideal time to begin planning your very own Pumpkin Carving Party! Jack-o-lanterns can only survive 5-7 days once cut, so choose your date and send your invites soon!
The 2009 Pumpkinmania will be located at The Heritage Museum of Orange County on
Oct 25, 2009 8:30 am – 2:00 pm (Sunday). 3101 West Harvard Street, Santa Ana, CA 92704.
Natural, drug-free remedies for your child’s cold or flu With Winter right around the corner, many children have already developed coughs and runny noses. As parents, how can we help? A year ago, the FDA… Keep Reading »
Winter wellness: Drug-free, natural methods for coping with the common cold Most children will develop at least six to eight colds a year. Every year, more doctor visits and absences from school and work are caused by upper… Keep Reading »
Caring for aging family members in a digital world Feeling intimidated by the process of making senior care decisions? Taking the proper steps is often complex, and time… Keep Reading »
Fostering abundance attitude in kids My husband and I have often lamented that our parents—both sets successful in their careers, and financially prepared for… Keep Reading »
Colorblind kids: Finding the rainbow Madison was always the first to volunteer to read aloud, however today she sits frowning at the page in her book and glances tentatively at her… Keep Reading »